Food wastage is a common concern of every household, we all waste food during cutting, cooking or serving food. Food wastage can be avoided and it can help you save money. You should know some creative ways to treat the food that remains in the kitchen. Some housewives garbage food items that are left during the cutting or cooking of food, first of all it is ethically incorrect, secondly, the foul smell of food items in the garbage will make it difficult for you to bear, thirdly, you can never feel good if you have a habit of throwing food in the garbage.
How to avoid food wastage
There are plenty of ways by which you can reduce food wastage, any of these methods can help you save food and save money. Expert cooks know these methods but sometimes even the most avid and expert cook wastes food or buy excess food that get stale. Here are some tips on how to avoid food wastage in kitchen.
- Empty your refrigerator once or twice every month in this way you will use every item that is present in the refrigerator before buying other food items. Any excess food will come in use and you will not waste that food. I personally prefer to use frozen food items in a month or so because frozen food losses its freshness after some time. Before buying meat, poultry or fish check your refrigerator whether the frozen meat is over or there is still some meat in the refrigerator. Those housewives who use to freeze vegetables should use these vegetables in one or two months because vegetables losses their consistency and crispness when frozen for a long time.
- Buy several seal pack or airtight jars and boxes of every size. These boxes are real handy as you can put any remains of vegetables, meat, fruits, stocks or gravies. Salads, ketchup and sauces usually remain in small amount after meals and these items are usually put in the sink because of unavailability of space to store them, if you have small boxes you can easily preserve these items. In large boxes and jars you can preserve other left over items that can be used next time.
- We often feel frustrated when small amounts of cilantro, fresh coriander or parsley is left behind. Vegetables are the most difficult items to preserve or keep in the refrigerator, you should know how to preserve different vegetables. Ginger and garlic can be preserved in a paper bag while green leafy vegetables stay for a long time if they are packed in a polyethylene bag. There are various other ways too to preserve left over vegetables, you can make sauces or purees of green vegetables if they are left behind.
- Fruits can be easily preserved by pureeing them in a processor, otherwise you can juice any fruit that is left after the dinner. Do not let fruits especially those that are very soft to stay overnight, they will get rancid, use them in one way or another.
- Check your pantry everyday to know that no item is getting spoiled there.
- Make a list of food items that you will need for the whole day and buy only an amount that is required do not buy in excess amount. Making a list is very beneficial as list enables you to buy only those food items that are required.
- Good cooks know how to use left over food in a creative manner. You can also make use of the left over gravies, rice or cereals. You can make creative food for your kids in this way, they will never be able to understand that you have recycled food. You can use left over pastas to make pasta rolls, if meat has been refrigerated for long time you can use it to make stocks.